Friday, October 21, 2011

Day 21: 21 things I know for sure

I make it clear that I follow a lot of blogs. Blogs of all types. Decorating, DIY, cooking, baking, Down Syndrome, fashion...the list goes on. 

Awhile ago I "met" Liddy and Heidi. Heidi and I have a lot in common and that's because Harper and Lydia have a lot in common. I enjoy her blog. It makes me smile. Especially her post where she included 20 Lessons From My Daughter. I bookmarked that post for awhile. I thought about it daily. It took me weeks to create my own version (with some inspiration from Heidi and Liddy).

My lists consists of 21 things in honor of Trisomy 21, the 21st day of the month and the 21st day of blogging for Down syndrome.

Seriously?!

21 Things I Know For Sure

1. An extra chromosome is awesome. It makes Harper, Harper. I wouldn't have her any other way.
2.  Without my blog friends I wouldn't be as sane in this insane world. They get me. They have "been there done that" and that makes me feel safe and secure.
3. As stressful as parenthood is, I couldn't do it without Andy. He is the milk to my cookie.
4. I sleep different. When Harper was born and until recently I slept with my glasses on so I could turn over and look at Harper. (seriously I'm blind without my glasses).
5. I'm thankful to have Harper. I'm thankful for Andy. I'm thankful for my family. I'm generally just thankful.
6. This trip to Holland is the only thing that Harper knows but it has changed me.  I'm a far better person now as a mom than I was previously.
7. I'm terrified that we have a date for Harper's surgery but I'm excited at the same time.
8. I'm a big believer in positive thinking.
9. I shed a tear pretty much every day. Sometimes sad sometimes happy. Nevertheless, each tear gets me closer to my true self.
10. I love Chelsea Handler but hate that she uses the R word.
11. I know that not everyone is comfortable with Down syndrome or with Harper having Down syndrome. The truth is I actually forget about Ds more than I think about it. I see Harper for who she is, not what she was diagnosed with.
12. I'm perfectly content staying in my pajamas all day just to spend time with Harper. Those of you who know me know that I love getting up and getting dressed for the day. My current wardwobe: yoga pants and an oversized off the shoulder tshirt.
13. I now a reassured that there is a God.
14. I'm a momma bear. If you cross between me and my daughter I will let you know.
15. I loved being pregnant. Makes me want to do it again :)
16. I drive differently. By different I mean slow and cautious rather than fast and furious.
17. Harper makes me want to exercise so I'm healthier for her. Too bad I haven't started yet!
18. I love that our family loves Harper. It's evident in the phone calls, emails, and visits.
19. Harper entered this world with a sneeze (seriously not a cry a sneeze) and has made a bang ever since.
20.  Choose your friends wisely. True friends love and support you even when you're ugly and mean, through your highs and lows, and know all your dirty secrets but still love you anyway. (Taken word for word from Heidi at My Liddy Bug.)
21. It melts my heart to see my friends love Harper as much as their own children. It means I've picked the right friends.


Little girl has a belly! 

5 comments:

Heidi Ehle said...

I love this. And I love even more that we inspired it! :)
Love to you and that pretty girl Harper!

Mama Bird said...

This is a beautiful post! Love it!

RK said...

What a precious post for your little beauty! It will be such a gift for her to be able to read someday. :o)

She sure makes me miss the little tiny baby days!

Shannon said...

:) love your list. Harper is just precious. ( and I love her name). I see you still have heart surgery yet, I will be keeping you and your sweet girl in my prayers.

Laura said...

Just blog hopping & I wanted to say that Harper is adorable!

http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com/