Thursday, January 5, 2012

Post Op Day 1

I know most of you are looking for a detailed explanation of yesterday went. I honestly don't have it in me but I promise I will write about it soon. I want to have a day by day account so others will know what to expect. I want to "pay it forward" (right Heidi?!) to other mama's out there who will someday be going through this exact same thing.



Let me just start with...Harper is doing fantastic! The medical team here at American Family Children's Hospital in Madison, WI are absolutely AMAZING! Every single person here is sincerely kind from their head to their toes. And that includes the surgeon, Dr. A. who repaired Harper's heart. He doesn't have to have a super bedside manner but by gosh he has a great one! If I feel comfortable to joke around him then he is ok in my book. Amazing amazing I can't say enough about everyone here!



Today is the first full day post surgery and girlfriend already has her breathing tube out and THANK GOODNESS! She hated it. She hated it so much that she tried to take it out herself. She was restrained but that didn't stop her either. So far a Badger sock is doing the trick but we'll see how long that lasts!



She had a special visit from 2 of the UW Badger hockey players. They are too old for her but that didn't stop her from breaking their hearts!



As we waited yesterday for the surgery I was able to read all the posts, emails, facebook messages etc that were left in Harper's behalf. There is no physical way that I can repay all of you (who are essentially strangers). The only way I can is to be your support team for when you need it. Just say the word and I am there.


We left to eat an early lunch while H's breathing tube was being taken out and I came back to find 65 emails in my inbox because 65 more people had posted on my blog with well wishes. I hadn't cried since Harper came out of surgery but I shed some tears over the amount of of love and support we have received by complete strangers. Where did everyone come from?! I knew I had readers that are not counted in my followers but WOW I appreciate every single comment! Since publishing this I came to realize that HEIDI sent out a love bomb!!! WTF, that's amazing (I know I need to use a thesaurus)! What an amazing idea!



We are truly blessed to have Harper Alice in our lives, a supportive family, and a supportive bloggy family to help get through this difficult time.



I must run, Harper is up and itching to be talked to.  But here is a video of our wiggly worm!


16 comments:

Heidi Ehle said...

(((great big hugs))) mama! You're doing great! XOXOXOXO

Cammie Heflin said...

She looks great! Glad she is doing well! Try to get some rest!

Mama Bird said...

Oh, she is wiggly;)

Unknown said...

God bless your strong girl!! I have been praying for all of you. I hope and pray for a speedy recovery for Harper :)

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear all about her journey! Big hugs to you, your angel and your family. I watch in amazement at your strength as I have a little girl the same age as Harper who also sports designer genes. God Bless!

Shona & Leighton
http://sumthintoblogabout.blogspot.com/

Kellan's momma said...

I have cousins in Madison, please email me if they can do anything for me, for you!! :-) prayers for speedy recovery!
Christina0469@msn.com

Robin | Farewell, Stranger said...

Love bombs rule. As does your darling girl! Bravo to all of you for getting through this part of the hard stuff. Lots of good wishes for the rest of your journey.

Nhmommaof5 said...

God is so good! Your precious Harper is a fighter, how can she not be? She has learned it well from her momma! Praying for a quiet recovery and lots of snuggles with your wiggle worm

Prayers and praises from New Hampshire!

V said...

I loved the video. She's like, "What's with all these restraints; I'm fine and ready to play!" What a champ. Great job, Kaiti and Andy!

Susannah said...

Such good news! What an adorable little wiggle worm.

Anonymous said...

Andy, Kaiti and Harper,

We are so very happy to hear of Harper's continued progress - she is a beauty. We've been keeping you all in our prayers and think of you often. Continued blessings and many, many hugs,
Rich and Mira

Just me said...

Wow what a fighter, it's so great to hear things have been going well!

Patti said...

soooo happy for you guys- hugs and kisses to that beautiful healthy girl from Lily!!! oxox

Cibele said...

What a strong little girl!!! Hoping and praying for a quick recovery!!!

Unknown said...

hugs! smiles! and then some more BIG hugs!! yeah for doing so well! smiles

Summit of Glory said...

such great news. This heart surgery for our little ones is so amazing I can hardly believe it. They turn around so quickly post op. Hang in there mama. Your hard days are far from over but you are now on the recovery path.....so much easier than the day you had to "hand her over".....whew. I know you are glad that is over. Keep hugging, kissing, talking, loving her and she will be home sweet home before you know it. xoxoxo