Saturday, November 12, 2011

The waiting game

Last Friday marked the 2 month mark before Harper's surgery. Her surgery is scheduled for Jan. 4th and it's never too soon to ask for prayers, thoughts, and wishes. 

This weekend is a big weekend. Harper's baptism is Sunday. Some of you will think we are branching out by having a baptism. Andy and I were married in a restaurant by a friend. We are not a religious couple and didn't feel that it was "right" to get married in a Catholic church. We didn't want to pretend to be religious just for one day. But we were both raised Catholic and we have each had a baptism, communion etc. and we have both grown. Even though I may not fully agree with some aspects of Catholicism I still need/want Harper to start off on the right side and she can make her decision about her own religion when she is older. And, I would like the big man (or woman) upstairs to be on our side during Harper's surgery.

this may be my favorite picture ever

Don't fret, Harper also has a super sweet outfit for her baptism that I promise to share! 

This week wasn't a week where I thought about Down syndrome much. And honestly, I've been trying to block out her heart surgery. I know it's imminent and I'll have to think about it sooner or later but I can't dwell on it. I have to work, eat, and sleep. And it's difficult to do any of that when your mind is twisting and turning about surgery. So, I avoid it until 4:00 am comes around and I can't fall back asleep. That's when I think, pray (some of you shocked!?), and talk my way into a positive scenario. A blogger friend told me that Harper is telling me not to worry because everyday she is growing bigger and stronger. And my oh my is this girlfriend growing! She's 8 pounds!



This weekend is about celebrating our little sassy pants. But today is about cleaning and organizing for tomorrow! 

told you she was sassy!

6 comments:

Heidi Ehle said...

I understand those 4 am wake up calls. I don't think I slept at all from the time we had surgery scheduled until we came home from the hospital. I spent the nights while every one else was sleeping praying, bargaining, crying, being mad as Hell, and being terrified. Just know that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk or have questions, let me know.
I can't wait to see Harper's baptism outfit! :)

Holly. said...

Hehe!! LOVE her faces. Have a great time this weekend and know Harper, you, and Andy are in our thoughts and prayers. I want to see pictures and hear about the food and the outfit!

stickfgr21 said...

Kaiti
Church & prayer can provide much needed support and strength for our daily life. Enjoy Harper's Baptism. We send our best wishes & love!

Mama Bird said...

I am in the same boat about the religion thing. Although I know that it can offer much support, comfort and hope, I kind of fell out of the practiced religion thing years ago. I, too, was raised catholic as were both of my parents. We were married in a catholic church. When I found out I was pregnant, I did wonder if we were going to have him baptised. In the end, we decided we are not going to and he can make up his own mind when he is ready. I think it is amazing that there are people who can believe so strongly and find much comfort and support in religion. I sometimes wish I was one of them, maybe some day I will be. I think that there are events in your life that will lead you back to that place as you need to put your trust and hopes into something greater, and you need to believe there is a reason and a good place beyond here. Anyway, getting a bit deep so I will stop there. I know Harper will be so adorbs in her outfit and I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Shannon said...

The waiting is the hardest part. I will be praying that you can enjoy these times that you have with her now and for a smooth sailing surgery. My faith was my biggest comforter- not a religion. Good works and following laws does nothing for your soul. But a personal relationship and understanding of Gods love will bring unimaginable peace to ones heart. I'll pray that you have minimal anxiety in the upcoming months:)

Patti said...

ooooh, I love those sweet chubby cheeks!