Monday, January 14, 2013

Funk, not funky.

I'm in a funk. A post-holiday funk has turned into a parenting funk, a friend funk, a wife funk, the list goes on. I'm a creature of routine.  It makes this Type A girl less crazy. But I am craving something different. Maybe I'm growing up but routine is what is killing me lately.

Take something little, like Harper's meals. They can be very "routine" and "boring." Because, let's face it. She has 2 teeth. I can't give her steak. (well I could but...) Last weekend I added in hard boiled eggs. Not allergic and she liked it. One more thing I can add to the menu for H.

My friend Tara and I dig crafts. She is able to find more time (or just stays up later than I do) and creates more than me. But we have similar tastes. And unlimited text messages bc we frequently take pics of our creations and send them to each other. This friendship has blossomed in 2012  and has helped me branch out. Even though despite her persuasions, grey will still be my favorite paint color of all time. The point of this story is that this friendship has helped me out of a "routine." Her text pictures of mustache straws or her favorite mirror she repurposed gets me out of a funk when I need it.

Isn't is amazing?
As I've gotten older and had a child, my "me time" has become sparse to none. It's a normal thing. I am selfless when it comes to Harper and that's okay. Most of the time. But as I write this, my back is aching and their is a $50 Spafinder gift card (thanks Aunt Sharon) staring at me and yelling "go get a massage Kaiti. Go on, you deserve it."  But I have yet to call the spa and make an appointment.

I feel guilty. Why do parents feel bad taking times for themselves? I know that massage will make me a better mom. How do I know this? Because I can barely play on the floor with H without needing a walker afterwards.
See me on the floor? Yeah, getting up wasn't easy! 


As I settle into 2013, I have a list of goals I want to accomplish. I plan on having some of them will go off of my routine. Hopefully creating a much funk-less 2013. Now, off to schedule my massage, get my craft on and spend some time on the floor with my kid!

Badger Basketball Game. She was over the pictures. 



1 comment:

Holly. said...

you are not alone. which makes me think...shopping trip for us to come your way? late february/early march?